Hogwarts Legacy is the greatest Harry Potter game launch ever | UK boxed chart

Hogwarts Legacy has had a very big start in the UK games trade, comfortably being the #1 game of the week (GfK data).

It’s the biggest launch for a Harry Potter game ever, with sales 64% higher than the previous best – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone from 2001. In fact, the biggest week for a Harry Potter game wasn’t one Launch week at All in all, it was the second week of Philosopher’s Stone (due to the hype surrounding the film). Even compared to this week, Hogwarts Legacy was still 2% larger.

This result is even more impressive when you consider that this only applies to physical sales. Hogwarts Legacy would have received a significant number of digital downloads (those dates will come later in the week) while Philosopher’s Stone had no digital sales in 2001. Therefore, the success will be even more pronounced once all the data is In.

Harry Potter is the 26th biggest video game franchise in the UK, just behind the Forza series but ahead of The Legend of Zelda.

Compared to last year’s big fantasy release, Elden Ring, Hogwarts Legacy sales are up 80% in its first week.

PS5 accounted for 82% of Hogwarts Legacy sales, with the remaining 18% coming from Xbox Series S and X. Digital sales are likely to narrow this gap between the two platforms, as Xbox’s digital share tends to outweigh physical (due in part to the popularity of the digital-only Xbox Series S).

Expect the game to continue floating on the charts, with PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch versions of the game due out in the coming months.

Sony’s God of War Ragnarok is in second place this week with a 10% increase in sales. The action-adventure PlayStation game is part of a very popular PS5 hardware bundle.

FIFA 23 slips from #1 to #3 after a small 3% drop in sales compared to the week, while Mario Kart 8: Deluxe still sits at #4 despite a 10% drop in sales.

There has been some price activity in Nintendo Switch games this week that has resulted in games climbing the charts. Animal Crossing: New Horizons jumps seven spots to #5 after a 40 percent jump in sales week-on-week. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe jumps eight spots to #10, Mario Strikers: Battle League Football jumps on sales up 197 % up 25 spots, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury grows 68%, rising from #27 to #27 to .15, Mario Tennis Aces re-enters the charts at #17 (sales up 182%) and Luigi’s Mansion 3 ranked 20th (up 88% in sales).

Recent release Dead Space falls from No. 3 to No. 7 after a 52% drop in sales, while Spongebob Squarepants: The Cosmic Shake falls from No. 10 to No. 34 in its second week after a 60% drop in sales.

Here are the GfK UK Boxed Top Ten for the week ending February 11, 2023:

Last week This week title
new entry 1 Hogwarts legacy
2 2 God of War Ragnarok
1 3 FIFA 23
4 4 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
11 5 Animal Crossing: New Horizons
5 6 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
3 7 Empty room
6 8th Nintendo Switch Sports
7 9 Minecraft (switch)
18 10 New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

Biggest Harry Potter Game Launches (GfK Data)

position Year title
1 2023 The Legacy of Hogwarts (Warner Bros.)
2 2001 Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (EA)
3 2010 LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
4 2002 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (EA)
5 2005 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
6 2004 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (EA)
7 2007 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (EA)
8th 2010 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (EA)
9 2009 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (EA)
ten years 2003 Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
11 2011 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (EA)
12 2016 LEGO Harry Potter Collection (Warner Bros.)
13 2001 LEGO Creator: Harry Potter (Focus)
14 2012 Harry Potter for Kinect (Warner Bros.)
15 2005 Harry Potter Collection (EA)
16 2004 Harry Potter Deluxe Edition (Aspyr)

Sign up for GI Daily here to get the biggest news straight to your inbox

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *